You're driving to work like any other day, but today you're paying close attention to your route. You begin to see just how many salons are nearby to yours. You see signs in windows of shops that you never noticed before advertising your services. You feel a pit in your stomach as you begin to wonder where some of your clients have been. It's at this moment that you begin to think the most toxic phrase you could come up with, I'm a dime a dozen.
The first thing to address is that you are NOT a dime a dozen! Yes, there may always be many people offering your services in your radius, but it's important that you don't let your thoughts spiral at this realization. It's also important to think outside the box about your business and what you have to offer.
In the book Blue Ocean Strategy, which is "based on a study of 150 strategic moves spanning more than a hundred years and thirty industries, Kim & Mauborgne argue that companies can succeed by creating "blue oceans" of uncontested market space, as opposed to "red oceans" where competitors fight for dominance, the analogy being that an ocean full of vicious competition turns red with blood." To create this blue ocean you must develop a value innovation, which is the "alignment of innovation with utility, price and cost positions."
Unfortunately, the lash industry can feel more like a "red ocean" instead of a "blue ocean." So how can you turn that around? Follow these steps to start developing those "value innovations" needed to transform the industry into something greater!
Note your worth. What sets you apart? What do you, as a person, offer to someone receiving a service from you? Do you think everyone with a license has mastered their craft? Obtained a high level of comprehension in their education? Are truly caring and in tune with their clients? Probably not. If you need to make a list of what makes you an excellent service provider and skilled technician, do it!
If you feel that you are lacking and want to add more skills to your service menu, check out our courses in professional lash services!
Working with each other. One thing that makes offering lash extension services unique is the on-call factor. It's one of those services where you can't exactly leave town an hour after applying them to a new client or take a very long vacation since clients depend on seeing you ever 2-3 weeks. If you're in a position of working for yourself or being the only one in your business that is certified for this service, it wouldn't hurt to make a friend in the girl who does them down the street. Forming a network with the right person can give you these added benefits:
- A backup technician for emergencies.
- Opportunity for much-needed vacations.
- Hello, a bartering partner for lash extensions for yourself!
Special touches. Aside from being fabulous and forming a network that allows you to work smarter, there are also things you do in your service that no one else does. This is because we've all had different training, colleagues, and experiences as consumers. Special touches are details that you incorporate into your service that are unique. Below is a list of some things you can try if it suits your style. Chances are, you're already doing some of them which is another reason why you have nothing to fear!
- Use crystal therapy in your treatment for a totally zen vibe. Moss Agate is great on maxillary sinuses for congestion and Clear Quartz on the décolleté is a do-it-all healer.
- Let your clients choose the music.
- Incorporate your facial treatment tools, like your bed warmer and heated hand mitts. Upgrade your service by applying a mask or you can offer high frequency on a blemish for free in two seconds. They will be forever grateful.
- Offer a beautiful collection of blooming tea. Calming varieties will help them from keeping their eyes from fluttering after a hyped day.
- Integrating retail products in your salon is a great way to give added value to clientele.
- Have them leave all their worries at the door by writing down their stressor of the day and crumpling into a sealed jar you keep at the front desk. Be sure to do the same when you get to work!
Check out 9 Ways to Keep Your Clients for Life which will give you more tips on taking steps that set you and your business above the competition.
Blogger | Esthetician | Super Dog Mom