In beauty and fashion, what's new and different is always in high demand. With colored eyelash extensions, also sometimes called “mermaid extensions” or "unicorn extensions," there are plenty of ways to give your clients something new to try. From yellow to orange to pink to purple, your clients can wear rainbow eyelash hues to enhance their natural eye color or give them a fun and dramatic look.
Colored eyelash extensions aren't just for Halloween — though they really do make a costume pop! Here's why you should have them on hand all year round, and ways to incorporate them into your lash extension services.
3 Benefits of Colored Lashes
Colored mascara has been around for years, but colored eyelash extensions provide the extra benefit of volume and length. Colored lashes also come in varieties like ombré and can be mixed in with black lashes or a variety of hues for unique looks.
When you're discussing lash extension ideas with your clients, here are some unique benefits of colored lashes.
1 | You Can Achieve a Look You Can't Create with Mascara
Colored mascara gets applied to multiple lashes at a time, and it's nearly impossible to create an effective ombré look with mascara. With individual eyelash application, you have the option to add as many or as few colored lash extensions as you want. And ombré extensions make achieving a neat and subtle ombré look a cinch.
2 | Colored Lashes Enhance Natural Eye Color
For clients who want the length and volume of eyelash extensions but also want to make their eye color stand out even more, colored lashes do the trick. Some subtle color integration with individual lashes can do wonders, or you can use ombré or bright hues to enhance eye color.
3 | Get an Instantly-Notice-Me Look
If you have clients who want to create a dramatic look, colored lashes are the way to go. Besides complementing costumes, they can be used for fun rave looks or nights out on the town, to match vibrantly colored hair or hair extensions, or garner double takes on the daily.
One of the best parts about colored eyelash extensions is that the styles are endless. Your clients can dip their toe into trying colored extensions and go wilder if they end up loving the effects.
Colored eyelash extensions are applied just like regular ones. But as you'll see from the tips below, there's an art to perfecting each look.
4 Tips for Colored Eyelash Extension Application
While colored lash extensions are nearly identical to black lash extensions in every way but color, there are techniques to adopt to create a “wow” look every time.
1 | Learn What LASH LOOK YOUR Client Wants
You may have a client who doesn't even know colored lashes exist, but who could really benefit from them depending on why they're coming to you for lash extensions. The reason why your client wants eyelash extensions or colored lashes will help inform the application.
- ENHANCE EYE COLOR | If the client wants to make their natural eye color stand out, go for lashes in colors that complement those hues. Purple lash extensions intensify green eyes and make brown eyes look bigger. Green lash extensions bring out hazel eyes. Blue lash extensions make blue eyes dazzle and also look great on brown-eyed gals.
- MATCH A COSTUME | Now's the time to be bold. Ask about all the different hues in the costume. Pull up some online lash- looks to get inspired. If the costume vibe is in-your-face, applying colored lashes all over might make sense. Colored lashes are perfect for celebrating holidays like Halloween, Valentine's Day, the 4th of July, and any major events with themed colors.
- BE A TRENDSETTER | Being a trendsetter is as easy as trying out some colored lashes. Ombré lashes provide a surprising touch of color that looks both natural and alluring. You could also apply a few colored lashes amid many black lashes to ease into the trend and create a look that's as office-ready as it is perfect for happy hour.
Figure out what your client is going for with lash extensions. Then suggest colored lashes when they make sense, along with ways to integrate them in the application.
2 | Factor in Extra EYELASH SERVICE Time
Applying colored lash extensions can take around 30 minutes longer than your typical eyelash extension session. There are a few reasons why.
- CONSULTATION | Discussing colored eyelashes is exciting and is a creative process. Since there are so many options, you'll want to ensure you understand what your client wants and strategize a way to achieve it with colored lash extensions.
- POSITIONING | Eyelash application is an art. Depending on the effect your client wants with colored eyelash extensions, you'll want to thoughtfully determine where you're going to place each one.
- SYMMETRY | Since you might be using colored lashes sparsely, you'll want to make sure the placement is the same on both eyes to create a symmetrical look.
As you do more and more colored lash applications, you'll become more experienced and might be able to cut down on some time. Just be sure to let every client know that if they want colored lash extensions, their application session might take a little longer.
3 | Use Clear Lash Adhesive
Some eyelash extension adhesive has carbon black in it, which gives a dark black finish to the lash line. Since you don't want to cover up brightly colored eyelash extensions with black adhesive, use a clear eyelash adhesive to colored lash extensions. One to try is Clear Connection clear lash adhesive.
If you're applying an ombré lash with a black base, you might opt for an adhesive with carbon black in it.
4 | Make Colored Eyelashes a Premium Offering
Colored lashes are not your everyday eyelash extensions. Many lash artists don't even offer them, so offering them is a way to make your business stand out. Colored eyelash extensions are special, they'll take longer to apply, and they deserve premium pricing.
Make colored lash extensions a sustainable part of your business by charging extra for their application. Your time is valuable. Since you'll be taking longer for each colored eyelash application, you'll want to make clients aware that the service will cost more, as well.
Standing out beauty-wise is priceless for many eyelash extension clients. The premium charge will make sense to your clients, and it makes sense for your business.
Enhance Your Eyelash Extension Offerings with Colored Lashes
As one of today's hottest beauty trends, colored eyelash extensions are in high demand. Meet the needs of your clients by adding them to your service offerings. You can attract more clients, increase the value of your services, gain more social media-worthy testimonials (and more referrals), and expand your business.
- Ask your client what effect they want with eyelash extensions, and make recommendations accordingly.
- Take your time with application to get a flawless, symmetrical look.
- Promote your colored eyelash extension offerings, so your clients know their options when they're booking an application, and you can optimize your schedule.
Ready to up your lash game with colored eyelash extensions? Shop colored eyelash extensions here.