If you ever heard that washing your eyelids and lashes shortens the lifespan of your lash extensions, then, my friend, I must tell you just the opposite. The dirty, little not-so-secret behind premature lash shedding is poor hygiene.
Poor hygiene is the biggest lash killer for three reasons:
1) Dirt, oil, and makeup can clog your lash follicles and even degrade the integrity of the best eyelash extension glues. Clogged follicles cause your natural lashes to fall out which may result in them growing back shorter, finer, and weaker than normal.
2) We all have microscopic eyelash mites called Demodex that live on our lash follicles. Proper cleansing keeps these pests at bay and out of the way of crowding our precious follicles.
3) Poor hygiene may also lead to more harsh and uglier words such as blepharitis; a condition where eyelids swell at the lash line and secrete a gross, pus-like substance that hardens to crust.
Cleansing your lashes is just as important as shampooing your hair and washing your face. A well-informed beauty queen knows the power of good products. So before you lather up your eyes with any old soap, I recommend the Lash Affair Aftercare Kit to do it right.
How to quickly cleanse your lashes:
- Start by rinsing your eyelids and eyelashes with plain water.
- Dispense 1 pump of gentle, oil-free TLC Foaming Cleanser.
- Use a microtip swab, your finger, or a silicone sponge to gently massage the cleanser onto your lashes paying extra attention to the lash line where your delicate follicles are.
- Once you've finished cleansing, thoroughly rinse them with water to remove all the cleaning product along with dislodged dirt and debris.
- Finish by blotting (not rubbing) your upper and lower eyelashes dry with a clean towel. Your lashes air dry very quickly all on their own as well.
- Brush through clean lashes with a lash want to fluff and straighten
- Cleanse your lashes daily
Keeping up with good aftercare not only maintains excellent lash health for optimal results between appointments, but it also makes your natural lashes the perfect canvas for lash extensions. Without dirt, oil, makeup, dust, and debris, lash extensions bond directly and more efficiently to your natural lashes for the longest wear possible. *This is why we recommend that all lash artists cleanse every clients' lashes before application.
And never be alarmed if you see a lash or two in the sink after you cleanse. It’s completely natural to lose anywhere between one and five eyelashes a day. It’s just more noticeable when there are lash extensions are attached.
If you love your lashes and want them to last, you must consider aftercare. In fact, THE most important thing YOU do for your lashes, besides looking great 24/7, is aftercare. Healthy lashes mean happy lashes and happy lashes will stick around for a long time which is what you want them to do!
It’s plain and straightforward. For long-lasting wear, practice proper aftercare!